Monday, November 11, 2013

VETERANS DAY

Today is VETERANS DAY.  My dad was so handsome in his uniform.  When I was young I didn't appreciate just how dark and handsome he was.  He was stationed in Kentucky with the 101st Airborne for a time but mostly I remember him in Vietnam.  He ended up being a crew chief with the Razorbacks  (helicoptors) in Vietnam for two tours.  I wish I had listened more to his stories. 

This time next Monday, Allie and I will be making our way to Dulles International and then on to Tel Aviv and Nablus.  I can't even wrap my brain around all of it!  Two years ago, I would never have entertained the idea that we would be making this trip.  I know it will be a life changing event for me and that's saying a lot at 61 years old!  My biggest anxiety around the trip is leaving John for 10 days.  The older we get, the more challenging it is to be apart.  Ben and Ricky will be staying here at the house and commuting to work in Richmond each day.  I cringe when I think of what we will come home to on NOV 26th.....Al says the bachelor digs will smell like onions!

John continues to venture out into the cold each morning to the golf course.  We are trying to keep up with the falling leaves and haven't closed up the pool yet.  Procrastination!  We plan our evenings around whether VCU is playing basketball on TV or the latest DVD television series that we are watching together. 

Tomorrow I begin visiting houses for WORKCAMP 2014 and that's another thing I find hard to wrap my head around! 

No comments: