Tuesday, November 4, 2008

An Angel Gone & A New President Arrives

Willie Mae Smith -1046 Halifax st, Pburg
I attended a funeral downtown yesterday....Willie Mae Smith was a friend of workcamp since 1993. She influenced many, many teens by allowing them into her home to help with repairs. I visited her in the hospital earlier this year as she battled her illness. She was a kind,gentle and loving woman that influenced so many teens....her home was crumbling, but her heart and generosity was so strong.
I reflect on this as I watch the Presidential election. The crowds of thousands gathering to celebrate...I feel sure that none of the thousands have been as profoundly and deeply affected as deeply as those who spent in Willie Mae's home. Numbers mean little to me tonight while I look back on the changed lives that walked into her home on Halifax Street. There were only about 50 people at her funeral....no splash of the media....but as I sat on that back row, I knew in my heart what had happened. I thank God for Willie Mae and her life.....I count it a real gift to have called her a friend......
Tonight....God Bless All The People of Every Country....and our new President .......






No comments: