Sunday, December 15, 2013

Our Respite in East Jerusalem




Allie in the sitting room off from the dining room
During our time on the Israeli side of the wall, we stay at St George's Episcopal Cathedral Guesthouse.  It was a paradise in the middle of East Jerusalem.  Staffed by Christians & Muslims, it was the perfect setting for us.  We were also only minutes from the Old City of Jerusalem.  There were pilgrims staying at St George's from all over the world....met one man whose group was there to deliver baby blankets and items to Gaza. 
Window of our room...the walls were so thick


I always thought I had a true idea of how I would feel if I ever saw Jerusalem.  I never realized it was such a divided city.  In the next two blogs, I will tell stories and show pictures of our time in the old city and East Jerusalem and then our brief excursion with Sami over to West Jerusalem.  I think the thing that creeped me out was the surprise of all the division.  Our accommodations and time in shops was mostly in Arab East Jerusalem which is technically still in the West Bank.  By the way, the term West Bank, was coined by the Israelis and Palestinians usually don't use the words. 

Our stay at St George's was so comfortable, relaxing and felt like such a godly place to be.  It's hard to describe, but we were so grateful not to be staying in a hotel.  I would recommend the guest house to anyone traveling to Jerusalem.  I can't say enough good things about it! 



No comments: